Undocumented: should you file taxes?

Last updated:

January 19, 2024

Even those who are not required to file a tax return and are undocumented may still benefit from filing a tax return.  Some tax credits are available to individuals who file with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).  On the federal tax return, if you had earned income and your child has a Social Security Number (SSN), you may still be eligible to claim the Child Tax Credit for your child.  This is worth up to $1,500 in refundable credits (money coming back to you).  Also some states (like CA) allow individuals with ITINs to file for the state earned income and child tax credits.

Not sure if you are required to file a tax return?  Worried about how filing taxes can affect you?  Check out some of the resources with these organizations that are focused on the needs of immigrants:  https://www.nilc.org/ National Immigration Law Center; https://www.clasp.org/ Center for Law and Social Policy; https://www.unidosus.org/ UnidosUS

Want to file your taxes but don’t have an ITIN?  Find out more here:  https://www.taxoutreach.org/tax-filing/itin/